BRIGADIER C.H.V. VAUGHAN
The London Times – 30th March 1976
Brigadier Charles Hilary Vaughan Vaughan, DSO, DL, JP, late of the Royal Welch Fusiliers, died on March 28th at the age of 70. He was born Charles Hilary Vaughan Pritchard, but changed his name by deed poll from Pritchard to Vaughan, his mother’s maiden name, on inheriting the Nannau estates in North Wales in 1956.
Educated at Sherborne and Trinity Hall, Cambridge, he joined the Royal Welch Fusiliers in 1927 and was ADC to the Governor and C-in-C Gibraltar from 1931 to 1932. In the period before the Second World War he was Adjutant of the RWE depot and went to the Staff College at Camberley. Thereafter he served throughout the war in North Africa, Italy, France, Greece and Palestine, commanding the 2nd Independent Parachute Brigade Group from 1943 to 1946. He was. Commander Airborne Establishments from 1946 to 1948 and retired in 1949. He was a DL and JP for Merioneth in 1950 and High Sheriff of Merioneth from 1956 to 1958.
He married, in 1935, the Hon Mary Patricia Monck, younger sister of the 6th Viscount Monck. They had four daughters.