This house had a long association with the Nanney and Vaughan family from Griffith Nanney to C.H.V. Vaughan. The full meaning of this house is “Meadow Above The Ford of the Salmon”.
The original house was built in 1596 by Griffith Nanney, although it was extensively altered and enlarged circa 1763 (with gazebo and stables), and again in the late nineteenth-century.
The original chimney breast of 1596 remains with another having a framed coat of arms in stone dated 1835 and initialled “V, RW, AM”. Below this are seven Elizabethan stones inscribed in Latin.
Dolrhyd was bought by Dr. Williams’ School in 1956 as extra accommodation for boarders at the school. It opened in 1957 with Miss ‘Do’ Davies as Housemistress. (Information courtesy of dwsoga.org.uk).
The house was Grade II Listed in 1987. See Here.
It is now “Cerrig Camu”, a residential care home. See here.
It is mentioned in the following family wills:
1668 – Anne Nanney, widow, of Doluwcheogrhyd
Bond following her death. Those Bound:
- Richard Nanney of Dolgelley (Son)
- John Nanney of Doluwcheogrhyd (Son)
- John Morgan (Husband of daughter Ellin Nanney)
- Elleanor Nanney of Trawsfynydd
- Inventory of goods at Nanney and Doluwcheogrhyd
Witnesses: Griffith Nanney, Cadwalader Ffoulks & Thomas Humphreys.
December 1675 – Hugh Nanney of Doluwcheogrhyd
- Griffith Nanney (Eldest Son)
- Hugh Nanney (Second Son
- William Nanney (Third Son
- Anne Nanney of Dolegwyn
- William Salisbury of Rug (Brother-in-law & Executor)
- John Wynne of Meley (Brother-in-law & Executor)
Witnesses: Maurice Jones & Griffith Vaughan
Bond following his death. Those Bound:
- Maurice Jones
- Griffith Vaughan
Witnesses: Rice Jones, Richard Vaughan & Rees Griffiths.