This pretty cottage is set down from the Dolgellau to Llanfachreth road, opposite Coed-y-Moch Lodge. While the cottage has the date of 1831 on the porch, this was a later addition, probably created when it was modernised as a home for Robert Williames Vaughan’s University valet who he pensioned off the same year. The name seems to mean “Enclosure of the Wolf”.
Late C17/early C18 single-storey farmhouse raised and altered 1831 as part of the estate improvements carried out for Sir Robert Williames Vaughan of Nannau, Bart.
Rubble construction under a slate roof; off-set C19 chimney to L on square base and with plain cornice. Further, square chimney to rear gable. Near-symmetrical front with massive C19 central porch. This is of rubble with timber-framed upper, gabled section and bears the date 1831 and the initial V (for Vaughan) in raised wooden letters; boarded background and plain bargeboards, the whole giving a pedimental effect. c.1900 4-panewindows to the L of the porch and to three rubble gabled dormers; 2-pane modern window to the R of the porch. To the R a surviving wall of the contemporary byre section, taken down in the 1950s. To the L and both set back and stepped-down, an adjoining C19 wash-house (?) range with hipped slate roof and truncated brick chimney to L; boarded door to R. Beyond this a further, cart-house and storage block, again stepped-down and with roof hipped to the L. Boarded door and former cart opening to L. To the rear, a wide gable with chimney; 4-pane window, the remainder modern.
Beamed ceiling to former hall (ground floor L) with plain chamfered joists and main beam.
Reasons for Listing
A vernacular farmhouse with special interest for its well-preserved C19 Nannau estate character.
From the 1975 Auction Catalogue
is situated close to the south boundary of the farm and stands nicely back from and on the south side of the Parish road, from which it is approached by a right of way over Lot 24. It is an attractive, detached, stone and slate Cottage with some black and white elevations, dated 1831, and contains the following accommodation:
ON THE GROUND FLOOR:
Living Room, 16ft. 6in. by 9ft. 6in., with stone fireplace. Kitchen, 8ft. 9in. by 7ft. 6in., with electric cooker and stainless steel sink unit (h. and c.). Sitting Room, 9ft. 9in. by 8ft. 4in., with Parkray heater. Boxroom, 9ft. 3in. by 7ft. 3in.
ON THE FIRST FLOOR:
Bedroom 1, 17ft. by 8ft. Bedroom 2, 9ft. by 9ft. Bathroom, 10ft. 3in. by 7ft. 9in., with panelled bath and pedestal basin (both h. and c.), airing cupboard with immersion heater, and w.c. There is a further room upstairs which could be converted to a Bedroom.
Three Sheds used for storing coal and wood.
SERVICES: Main electricity and water connected. Septic tank drainage.
Rateable Value £78.
In the rent—free service occupation of Mr. Davies (Estate employee).