Maesybryner in July 1955
Maesybryner in July 1955

From the 1975 Sales Catalogue

LOT 2
WITH VACANT POSSESSION

Maesybryner House

LLANFACHRETH, DOLGELLAU

with Gardens and Grounds, Farmbuildings and surrounding fields and Paddocks

extending to about

37.980 Acres

including about 5 Acres of Dedicated Woodland

and having the benefit of Outline Planning Consent
for an Agricultural Workers’ Cottage

Maesybryner House from the 1975 Sale Brochure
Maesybryner House from the 1975 Sale Brochure

THIS FINE HOUSE

provides a Principal Residence for the Estate and occupies a magnificent site with wonderful south-westerly views beyond Dolgellau to Cader Idris in the distance.

It is approached from the Llanfachreth Road about 2 miles north of Dolgellau by a winding tarmacadam drive, with white painted entrance gates, which passes beneath the George III Memorial Arch, then past the Farmbuildings, branches left and terminates in a wide gravelled forecourt on the south front. The main tarmacadam drive continues up the hill behind the house, crosses through a part of Nannau Home Farm ( Lot 1) and ends finally at Llyn Cynwch (Gwynedd Water Authority).

The Maes-y-Bryner Arch from the 1975 Sale Brochure
The Maes-y-Bryner Arch from the 1975 Sale Brochure

George II Arch (see Historical Note)

MAES Y BRYNER HOUSE has been enlarged from the original Farmhouse, yet is still of only moderate size and easily run, and briefly contains: Lounge Hall, Four Reception Rooms, Seven Bedrooms, Three Bathrooms, Four W.C.’s, Kitchen, Washroom and Staff Quarters (unused).

The surrounding Gardens have been kept to a minimum for ease of maintenance, but could easily be extended and improved if desired. Three Attractive Grass Parks lie immediately to the south of the gardens and the whole is sheltered by the hill on the north and by woodland (dedicated) on the east and west.

The long, low House is built of stone, colour-washed and part rendered, under a slate roof, and entrance is on the south front.

ON THE GROUND FLOOR:

Small Porch to the

LOUNGE HALL, 18ft. by 16ft., with passage off to Separate W.C. and having basin, fitted cupboards and shelves. Steps up to

WASHROOM, 17ft. 6in. by 11ft. 6in. (max.), with fitted shelves and cupboards, enamel sink with cold tap and point for water heater.

DRAWING ROOM, 25ft. 2in. by 15ft. 11in., having two large windows looking over the valley to Cader Idris. (The two glazed recessed display cabinets are excluded from the sale.)

STUDY, 15ft. 7in. by 15ft. 3in., fitted library shelves and with large window enjoying mountain views.

DINING ROOM, 19ft. 5in. by 15ft. 10in., with grey marble fireplace.

SITTING ROOM, 16ft. by 13ft. 6in., fitted shelves with cupboards below, French windows to garden and enjoying panoramic views.

Cloakroom with basin (h. and c.), w.c. and fitted shelves.

KITCHEN with sink (h. and c.) with double drainers, electric cooker points, enamel sink (h. and c.), fitted shelves and cupboards.

Lean-to Back Porch at end of passage with fitted shelves.

ON THE FIRST FLOOR:

Stairs (with cupboard under) in Lounge Hall lead to a passage with doors off to:

BEDROOM 1, 15ft. 2in. by 9ft. 9in., fitted wardrobes and cupboards.

BEDROOM 2, 12ft. by 10ft. 7in., fitted cupboard.

BEDROOM 3, 16ft. 1in. by 15ft. 4in., with basin (h. and c.), and small cupboard.

Separate W.C.

BATHROOM 1, panelled bath and basin (both h. and c.), airing cupboard with immersion heater. Linen Cupboard.

BEDROOM 4, 16ft. by 12ft., with basin (h. and c.) and two fitted cupboards.

BEDROOM 5, 15ft. 10in. by 15ft. 5in., with basin (h. and c.).

BEDROOM 6, 17ft. by 16ft., with fitted wardrobe and shelves.

BATHROOM 2, en-suite, panelled bath and basin (h. and c.), w.c. and fitted drawers.

Separate W.C. Airing cupboard with immersion heater.

Attached to the house at ground floor level are the

STAFF QUARTERS (unused) which are reached through a large Utility Room with dustbin cupboard with outside access, and which now comprise: Two First Floor Rooms, 18ft. 1in. by 12ft. 10in. and 18ft. 1in by 17ft. 2in. (max.), above Old Scullery (with sink) and Pantry (now Wine Store). Coal Store under stairs. (It is suggested that a modern Flat could be created from this accommodation.)

OUTSIDE:

Garage space for two. Stone and slate Barn. Shed.

SERVICES: Three-phase main electricity with ample power points throughout. Main water. Septic tank drainage.

THE FARMBUILDINGS

lie to the east of the House and comprise:

Stone and slate Feed Store and Bull Pen with loft over. Cowhouse converted to Loose Boxes with loft over. Concrete block Cowhouse converted to Loose Boxes. Adjoining Barn and Tractor Shed. Stone Cowshed now converted to Loose Boxes. Silage Pit. Stone Cowhouse for twenty, converted to Loose Pens, with two further concrete lean-to Loose Boxes at end. Two brick-built Bull Pens adjoining.

in addition to the Grass Parks previously mentioned, further rough grazing land to the north and east of the farmbuildings is included with this Lot.

This Lot is in the occupation of Brigadier C.H.V. Vaughan, D.S.O., who will give Vacant Possession on Completion.

Rateable Value: £98.
Value of Timber: £440.

Maesybryner in 1940 - © Christopher Quaile
Maesybryner in 1940 – © Christopher Quaile
Maes-y-Bryner Farmbuilding with the date of 1830 (made with Port Bottles)
Maes-y-Bryner Farmbuilding with the date of 1830 (made with Port Bottles)