Attributed to WILLIAM ALFRED DELAMOTTE (1775-1863) A portrait of Rhûg, circa 1820, oil on canvas, re-lined, 15.75 inches x 20.5 inches, framed.
The house, built in Grecian fashion in buff sandstone, was inherited by Edward Williames Vaughan, (the second son of Robert Howell Vaughan, later 1st Baronet) in 1780, at the age of just 13 from his cousin Maria Charlotte Pugh, granddaughter of Owen Salusbury, the last male heir of that line.
He changed his name to Vaughan-Salusbury on 21st May 1791. On his death at Syracuse on 15th September 1807, it passed to his younger brother Griffith Howell Vaughan, and in turn on Griffith’s death in 1848, to his nephew Sir Robert Williames Vaughan, 3rd Baronet.
Nannau Schedule of Contents 1958 No.43 Rhug c.1820 where Robert Williames Vaughan lived after his marriage with Frances Lloyd of Rhagett (1835) Painted by Delamotte.
Scan and Information Courtesy of Tamlyns.