Rhûg An 18th Century Estate table seal, with silver-pique ivory handle, the intaglio inscribed, R U G, in Gothic capitals, the seal 0.625 inches diameter, overall height 3 inches.
The Rhûg estate, near Corwen, which had been in the possession of the Salusbury family since the end of the 15th Century, was left in 1780 by the will of Maria Charlotte Pugh, granddaughter of Owen Salusbury, to her cousin Edward Williames Vaughan, second son of Sir Robert Howell Vaughan of Nannau and Hengwrt. On Edward’s death in 1807, it passed to his younger brother, Griffith Howell Vaughan. When Griffith died in 1848, the estate was inherited by his nephew Sir Robert Williames Vaughan, 3rd Baronet, who lived there until his demise in 1859.
Scan and Information Courtesy of Tamlyns.