This is one several arches commemorating the 1820 coronation of George IV. The wide Tudor arch was Grade II Listed in 1995. It is situated on a private road leading to Maes-y-Bryner Isaf.
There used to be a slate tablet on the inside (left) of the arch which read…
“This arch was finished the day that George III died.’ (20th January, 1820)”
The tablet is visible on the postcard, but is no longer there.
The Grade II Listing:
An early 19th century decorative folly-arch built as an estate feature by Sir Robert Williames Vaughan of Nannau in rustic style. It has flanking sections of wall containing arched slits with projecting rubble cills and vernacular projecting voussoirs. The arch was originally capped to give a pedimented effect; 2 large slate-stone lintel pieces formerly performing this function lie nearby.
The road as now beed diverted around the arch to protect it.