Coed y Moch Lodge (aka Garthbledden Lodge or Clock Lodge) was built by “Yr Hen Syr Robert” between 1794 and 1818 (as a lodge is shown on an 1818 estate map, but not on one dated 1794). The lodge was the main (southern) entrance to the original driveway which ran just under a mile to Nannau.
Coed y Moch is Welsh for “Wood of the Pigs”, as it was probably where the estate pigs would be let out to forage in the natural oak woodland. The lodge and wall are Grade II listed.
The gates contain the Pegasus Badge emblem of the Airborne Forces and were made by his Parachute Brigade Engineers. The gates were probably here from the 1950s to the early 1970s.
Photo Courtesy of Sue Crowther, first published on the Dr. Williams School Website. – http://dwsoga.org.uk.
The original hands of the clock were set to six minutes to five, indicating that a traveller was always in time for a meal. The clock is no longer there, being replaced with a painted one set to the same time.